Bleach Platinum Hearts RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
SilasCrowley
SilasCrowley
Starter Member

Clovers Under Shade [J. Saionji] - Page 2 Empty Re: Clovers Under Shade [J. Saionji]

Tue May 21, 2024 10:12 pm
In the midst of incantation, Patel could hear the visceral words of Yomi stretching out into his mind: releasing the Zanpakuto had permitted it greater freedom over him. "You've drawn your sword in a contest of Kido, and duel an opponent who has no sword." She spoke first- "You disgrace yourself for nothing when you cannot win either way." Chastises the spirit, though what she really wanted from Patel was very far from repentance.

Even so, she was the one whom Patel had been asking for help just a moment ago. 'That's why I'm counting on you to punish me, Yomi.' He answered in his thoughts, resolved to finish this incantation. This time he did not pay any attention to J's own recitation. "-flutter of wings, ye who bears the name of Man! Inferno and pandemonium, the sea barrier surges, march on to the south!" Patel spoke, completing Shakkaho's incantation. But the moment Patel finished the last syllable, an injury manifested upon him already-

Where his gi had already been torn, twelve gouges tore Patel's flesh in the shape of a huge human bite into his torso, as if he had been bitten by an invisible giant. An equal amount of blood spews from each tooth-shaped puncture in his flesh, all of which travels unnaturally through the air to smear bizarre kanji onto the pages of Yomi. If anyone was watching- the incantation for Shakkaho had been there previously, but the calligraphy drawn in Patel's blood altered it into a new sequence of bizarre text characters...

Trembling, Patel rises from his knees and thrusts both hands forward. The book of Yomi hovers-up from his hands and abruptly expels a pitch-black miasma of foul reiatsu about itself. "Hadō #31: Shakkaho!" Patel shouts, after which the mouth on the book of Yomi belches-forth a black ball of ethereal miasma. As it travels, it makes a shrieking noise through the air.

In the brief second or so before their Kido clash, Patel marvels at J's own casting of the spell. He had seen Shakkaho many times: it was standard artillery among the Shinigami and perhaps the first major Hadō a Shinigami can learn. But watching J's Shakkaho was like seeing someone draw a perfect circle in geometry, and then expand it to an equally flawless sphere. It was brilliant, stable, overwhelming...

Patel's corrupted version of the same Kido beats-against the face of J's own Shakkaho, and the bleak ball of black shade immediately begins to lose in its clash against J's spell. It breaks-up and deforms around J's Shakkaho in the milliseconds that follow impact with it, enveloping the fiery orb in a decaying ball of miasma. Patel had put everything into that one spell, paying Yomi's blood price to strengthen it, but even so- it was not enough.

A dimmer, smaller version of the Shakkaho emerges through Patel's own Kido blast, hurling into the lesser Shinigami's chest. Even J's explosion is masterfully contained: not so much as an ember touches the crowd, instead blasting a pillar of destructive Kido upwards from where it bursts against Patel. A swathe of magical fire envelops Patel in the blast, knocking him to the ground where he lies in a smoking heap amidst the subsiding flames. Even the cover of his eerie book looks charred where it lays open next to him.

Patel startles alert in a daze, beginning with a deep wheezing gasp: that explosion had robbed him of breath, and filling his lungs causes him excruciating pain. 'He overpowered it even after I paid blood?!' Patel remarks to himself, astonished that even Yomi's power failed to make a significant difference in their contest. His will to fight was destroyed, much like the upper part of his incinerated uniform, but he managed a happy smile even while wincing through the pain.

The lesser Shinigami weakly shuffles-up to his knees, while using a free hand to try and beat-out the lingering magical flames upon him. "I yield! I have nothing left." Patel calls-out, still trying to put out the flames of J's Shakkaho where they persist upon him.

Shikai Abilities Used:
Serenity
Serenity
The Gotei 13 Advocate

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Clovers Under Shade [J. Saionji] - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1570/100Clovers Under Shade [J. Saionji] - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1570/100)
Tiers:

Clovers Under Shade [J. Saionji] - Page 2 Empty Re: Clovers Under Shade [J. Saionji]

Wed May 22, 2024 11:41 am
Clovers Under Shade [J. Saionji] - Page 2 J_PostingHeader4
Enter: J. Saionji

During the speaking of his own incantation, J was momentarily taken aback by the sudden wound appearing on Patel’s body. Was this his shikai? That book? Clearly it was, as J watched the kido Patel cast corrupt right in front of him. When their kido clash, it no longer appeared a duel between two Shinigami, but a match between darkness and light. The corrupted kido was a sight to behold, a horrifying one. Not to J, but to the surrounding group of people that had not the skill or experience J had. A few fled the room at the sight, others backed into the walls, and a few even froze in fear. This shikai, this Patel, had the makings of something… bad.

The explosion blasted outward and with J’s precision, no one was hurt, except his own opponent. A mild look of surprise stayed on J’s face as he watched Patel recover. He wasn’t shocked about the recovery, but the power he had just witnessed. What sort of soul could conjure such an evil seeming ability? As Patel yielded, J walked up and stared down at him curiously. He was silent for a bit.

“What exactly was the point of this?” J asked, eyes narrowed.

End Post
SilasCrowley
SilasCrowley
Starter Member

Wed May 22, 2024 11:59 am
Patel reached out his hand to lay atop Yomi's front cover, upon which the mouth of the book immediately bites his hand. To his visible discomfort, it draws-out a sum of blood equal to what it had drawn to empower his Kido earlier, except this time- the blood glazes the whole book, after which it reverts to Patel's sealed Zanpakuto.

Visibly weakened even more than he was after shambling-up out of the ashes and cinders left by J's Shakkaho, Patel approaches the nobleman while sheathing his Zanpakuto, and then bows deeply before him, until his spine is at a ninety degree angle to his own hips. "Lord Saionji, I challenged you to a duel only as a pretense to see your Kido. While this may have been improper... I did it because I cannot seem to find a teacher." Patel confesses, before dropping down lower-

He puts his knees to the ground, then his palms, and finally his forehead- prostrating himself before J like a beggar. "Please forgive me." Patel apologizes, even while some lingering flames begin to spread again about the ankle of his hakama.
Serenity
Serenity
The Gotei 13 Advocate

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Clovers Under Shade [J. Saionji] - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1570/100Clovers Under Shade [J. Saionji] - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (1570/100)
Tiers:

Wed May 22, 2024 12:18 pm

This reminded him of a few centuries ago when people were terrified of witchcraft and things like “dark magic.” J kept a straight face, his demeanor as calm as he usually was, but inwardly the man really wanted to know… What the fuck…

J watched Patel bow to him, and raised an eyebrow. Something told J that Patel was going about things all wrong, especially if this was his desperate attempt at finding a teacher. J stared at his hand, the thoughts of showing off his kido in a more normal way coming to mind... There were other ways to do this.

Watching Patel lower himself more, J sighed. He was silent as she shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose. "That's enough. Stand up," J said and sighed a second time. "You are a member of the Gotei, correct? Then you trained at the Academy. The Academy is when you find a teacher: as a student. You are not a student. As a Shinigami, you find sparring partners, or teammates, and work hard enough that, maybe, you catch the eye of a superior who will choose to guide you. That is a mentor, not a teacher. Is that what you're looking for?"

End Post
SilasCrowley
SilasCrowley
Starter Member

Wed May 22, 2024 2:20 pm
Patel felt no shame prostrating himself before J. Saionji there. He had seen a glimpse of what Kido could be. Even if the 6th squad thought less of him for using his Zanpakuto against an unarmed opponent, Patel would be satisfied with what he'd seen today.

But to his own surprise, J. Saionji did not dismiss him. Patel answered his question swiftly: "Yes, my lord. As I do not have status or connections, however, I have yet to find a mentor." Patel added, while correcting himself. He obliged J. Saionji and gradually stood up, still brushing himself off until the final embers of J's Shakkaho finally dissipated from him. Seeing high-quality kido from the receiving end was certainly a fresh and rewarding albeit painful experience for Patel.

He looks grateful for J's advice: work hard and look to his superiors, or try to find his way onto a mission with some compatriots perhaps... though this hadn't been a failure, forcing his way into J. Sainoji's training session with a false duel might have been wrong.
Serenity
Serenity
The Gotei 13 Advocate

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Tiers:

Wed May 22, 2024 2:30 pm

Interesting… This young man either had a strange view of what a mentor was, or had a massive ego he was hiding. Patel’s behavior showed he was more humble, but maybe that was a facade? Either way, Patel’s power intrigued him enough to not just let this slide. J crossed his arms and kept his focus on Patel.

"What makes you think you deserve one?" J asked. It was intentionally said harsh, but there was extra inquiry behind those words than they would initially let on.

End Post
SilasCrowley
SilasCrowley
Starter Member

Wed May 22, 2024 2:36 pm
'What makes you think you deserve one?'

The look on Patel's face says it all: what a great question. A bit of pain, amusement and self-deprecation are all clear on the dark-skinned Shinigami's face. He warps it all to make a nervous grin up at the tall nobleman. "Truth be told, I don't deserve anything." Patel confesses. It did not elude him that his lowly place in life, perhaps even his lack of opportunity, was what he deserved- or perhaps even his destiny.

Even if that was true, though, Patel doubted he was supposed to accept it. He'd decided after failing to hang himself that every opportunity was actually an obligation---and to miss one was a sin. "I just... had to try something." Patel explained, increasingly nervous. He wasn't doing a good job of justifying his behavior if that was where J was going with this...
Serenity
Serenity
The Gotei 13 Advocate

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Tiers:

Wed May 22, 2024 2:43 pm

The irritation that J was holding back finally faded. He kept his calm demeanor and took a deep breath once more. Dropping his arms to his side, he looked more normal, less rigid, if a noble like himself can really seem ‘less rigid.’

“There are many personalities within the Gotei, and I know very few that would take on the responsibility of mentoring someone just because they asked nicely, and those who would accept that so easily, aren’t mentors you should would want.”

J turned back toward the exit and began walking away, but then stopped. He looked back over his shoulder at Patel, a stern eye on the young man. “What Division are you in, Kuzunoha? Since you clearly hunted me down here, I doubt it is mine.”

End Post
SilasCrowley
SilasCrowley
Starter Member

Wed May 22, 2024 3:21 pm
Patel listened intently to J. Saionji's warning, even though it may have seemed obvious. But even to the charlatans J. Saionji warned him of, Patel wasn't a suitable mark. With nothing more than his stipend of Kan, much of which went to his adoptive mother, Patel had nothing with which to entice even a dishonest tutor.

Even by J's own admission, those who were truly proficient in Kido and able to teach were not accessible, not even to those in better standing than Patel. "I'm in the third division, unseated." Patel answered. He wasn't sure if J. Saionji had anything more for him, so he decided to ask a question of his own just after that- "Apart from my dutes, my lord, I have no goal other than to master Kido. If I may ask-" He began, while starting a few steps towards the nobleman.

Though the mysteries of Kido couldn't be revealed in J's demeanor alone, his way of speaking and his demeanor already imprinted on Patel. He wonders just how much of J---at least so far as he'd seen him today---could be imitated. "Where should I start? How did you get the skills you have today?" Patel asked.
Serenity
Serenity
The Gotei 13 Advocate

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Tiers:

Wed May 22, 2024 3:42 pm

The Third? Odd. Why was he not in the kido corp if master kido was his goal? That was another note to put on a list of curiosities J had about Patel. He took his question in and thought about it. He could give many answers, but there were only one or two that felt right. He turned to fully face Patel once more.

“You start at your goal,” J said, an eyebrow raised. “Put yourself in the right place. You’re in the wrong Division. And when you’ve done that,” J pointed around the room at the group that was still watching. “You rely on your team, who will also rely on you. That is what a Division is, or at least should be…”

There was a moment there, in J’s eyes, where he looked upset… sad or disappointed. It was hard to really tell, and it only lasted a brief moment. “I doubt finding a mentor is be easy when you’re searching in the wrong place.”

End Post
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum