Bleach Platinum Hearts RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Rawk
Rawk
God of Love

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Ma Belle Peche [Arlette, Alastair] - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue16000/1Ma Belle Peche [Arlette, Alastair] - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (16000/1)
Tiers:

Ma Belle Peche [Arlette, Alastair] - Page 3 Empty Re: Ma Belle Peche [Arlette, Alastair]

Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:13 pm
Ma Belle Peche [Arlette, Alastair] - Page 3 X6fsqJn

ARLETTE OVIDE

"Don't worry about it."

For the first time in the conversation, Arlette had to actually consider the question being asked of her. Not necessarily because of the fact that it was difficult to answer. It was actually incredibly simple, but now she had to contemplate to what degree she would lie to him, if at all.

"I get things done because they have to get done. If it keeps things going, that's what I do. I don't spend time on things if they aren't going to benefit anyone, and I don't see a point in wasting my time antagonizing people. If someone has to die, they die. If they don't, there's no point just letting it happen."

Admittedly, she framed it in a way that made her seem at least marginally more compassionate than she actually was. After all, she didn't really care for anyone or anything. That included her employer, her sister, even the man in front of her. It was a plain life, one of tasks checked off neatly and efficiently, which contrasted quite starkly with Eliane's life of emotional extremes.

In a way, she almost envied the way she went through life so gleefully. Almost.

"I guess I just believe in whatever keeps things going smoothly."

END POST | RIGHT HAND OF THE QUEEN
Locke
Locke
Veteran Member

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Ma Belle Peche [Arlette, Alastair] - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0/0Ma Belle Peche [Arlette, Alastair] - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
Tiers:

Ma Belle Peche [Arlette, Alastair] - Page 3 Empty Re: Ma Belle Peche [Arlette, Alastair]

Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:51 am
Ma Belle Peche [Arlette, Alastair] - Page 3 Wkw0CMC

ALASTAIR EISFLUCH | STERNRITTER

Had he known of her apparent lack of care, Alastair might have found it peculiar that she was humouring an acquaintance like him with a prolonged hospital visit and going to the lengths of caring how much she might want to lie to him. Instead, Alastair did not see through the front she presented. It was flavoured with enough of the truth that it appeared as such, and what reason did he have to doubt such an upstanding woman.

"But who decides what gets done? Are you the judge, jury, and executioner deciding the fate of every task that falls your way?"

He could not help but inquire further, it was too interesting to know exactly where her head was at. There was not a right answer to the question in his eyes either, just another piece of insight. Her outlook did at least seem compatible with his own, but why was that important? It just was. He felt his stomach lurch at the thought and pushed it down just a little further.

"Quite the pragmatic viewpoint, I guess we will just have to keep things going smoothly then. A little belief never goes amiss."

The can of FRUITS was empty, much to Alastair's amazement and dismay, and so he pushed himself to his feet with a huff. The bin was at the other side of the room so he began the onerous journey to deposit the trash in its proper place.

Starfallen | END POST
Rawk
Rawk
God of Love

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Ma Belle Peche [Arlette, Alastair] - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue16000/1Ma Belle Peche [Arlette, Alastair] - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (16000/1)
Tiers:

Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:19 am

ARLETTE OVIDE

"I am. But isn't everyone? That's just life. Things happen, and we address them. People, tasks, moral issues, they come our way and we handle them however we think is appropriate. Even if I decide to ignore something, that's just how I chose to address it."

If she were a more expressive woman, she might have shrugged, but she simply said it all evenly and with the same purpose she said everything. Arlette noted his getting up to throw away the empty can, and while she thought about offering to do it for him, he'd made it fairly clear that he didn't want to rely on other people. So she watched him, clearly ready to assist if he found himself falling, but not getting up just yet.

"I've been told I'm too pragmatic. Considering I hear it from Eliane, I'm not worried about it."

Locke
Locke
Veteran Member

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Ma Belle Peche [Arlette, Alastair] - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0/0Ma Belle Peche [Arlette, Alastair] - Page 3 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
Tiers:

Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:51 am

"Plenty of people are slaves to the whims of others, to their detriment. Being able to choose what to ignore is a freedom some definitely envy."

His speed was frankly quite laughable, a look of concern engraved on his face, but eventually, Alastair made it to the bin and dropped the can only to watch it bounce off the lip and roll away with a quiet little clatter. There was a long pause as a heavy silence seemed to descend upon the room. Slowly, he turned and began to chase after the misplaced item as his expression shifted from concern to apparent frustration.

"I would not dare to claim to know her half as well as you, but Eliane does not seem like a sound judge of character by my reckoning. We could do better heading to a bar at closing time and consulting with the surviving patrons."

Starfallen | END POST
Rawk
Rawk
God of Love

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Tiers:

Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:26 am

ARLETTE OVIDE

"That's true. But they still choose how to handle things, even if their choice is colored by their circumstance. I don't claim everyone is free to choose whatever makes them happiest. If they were, the world would be different. I'd say it would probably be better."

The last bit almost didn't leave her mouth, but she decided that it seemed appropriate. And, on some level at least, she agreed. Not necessarily because of any moral reason, but because she didn't agree with the methods of people like Claudia and Eliane. It was asinine, overbearing. People worked better when you didn't put a collar around their necks.

"She's smart, good at what she does. That just makes it worse what a cretin she is."

Locke
Locke
Veteran Member

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Tiers:

Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:26 am

Having dropped down to his knees to pick up the fallen can, Alastair's gaze did slowly divert from his intended target back to Arlette. Freedom was certainly something to fight for in itself, but the freedom of others was a noble pursuit. One that he was not afraid to admit he admired. That was not quite what she had said, but it was certainly the beginning of the path toward getting there.

"The world would be a better place if all people were free to make their own choices, free from shackles. An interesting view for the pragmatist, but a welcome one."

Standing again, he did note that he towered over her, but it was hardly meant to intimidate her. He doubted he could even faze her if he was trying, instead his face wore a half-smile. Interested was probably a fair word to describe it.

"What does she do anyway? To be such a cretin after all?"

Starfallen | END POST
Rawk
Rawk
God of Love

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Tiers:

Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:28 am

ARLETTE OVIDE

"If people are free to make their choices, they'll make the ones that are best for them. What's best for them is what's best for the people around them, and society works out in turn."

Arlette watched Alastair with some faint degree of interest, if only because she found it almost curious that he stood so much taller than her. It probably changed the dynamic of the two speaking, but frankly, she didn't care enough to change it.

"I could write a few books with all her needless hostility."

And a few more about all the depravity, but that would definitely be bad for business.

Locke
Locke
Veteran Member

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Tiers:

Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:21 pm

"At least we can work towards that goal together. More so if we are handling liaisons between Vandenreich and the Duvalier Group going forwards. It takes likeminded people to come together to make a difference, so it is a small comfort to know that there is someone on the other side who understands that struggle."

It was a rather presumptive thing to say, that he could handle such a frankly gargantuan undertaking with his limited business experience and tolerable social skills, but Alastair was forever the optimist. If he was going to achieve anything of significance then he needed firmer ties with the Duvalier Group, to make himself that bit more indispensable. These were foundations of quicksand, if he knew what he was actually asking for, but alas he did not. All he could tell was that Arlette was different and this was the best chance he was going to get to ask.

"Could that work? The two of us as partners of sorts? I will not lie, it might limit my interactions with your sister and that would certainly be a blessing.”

He was reaching, grasping at the thinnest of straws, but he could do with a win right now. Maybe it was the incredible amount of sugar from that fizzy beverage clouding his better judgement, or did it actually make the smallest semblance of sense?

Starfallen | END POST
Rawk
Rawk
God of Love

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Tiers:

Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:57 am

ARLETTE OVIDE

How...forward. That was really the extent of Arlette's assessment on that. Most people wouldn't think to simply ask her, one of the personal bodyguards and liaisons for Claudia Duvalier, to be a "partner." He certainly misunderstood her worldview, Arlette was absolutely certain of that. But, if nothing else, she respected his confidence.

"Sure."

She wasn't the sort to care much for formal contracts, so the thought of any legal paperwork wasn't one that crossed her mind for more than a few seconds. Instead, she simply held out her hand for a shake. To her, that meant far more.

"Partners, then."

Locke
Locke
Veteran Member

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Tiers:

Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:15 am

It was that simple. Was it meant to be that simple? Probably not. It probably meant that he had a fundamental misunderstanding of the concepts of this partnership, and yet she had accepted anyway. But he wanted to believe that Arlette had good intentions, that she was something even remotely close to the woman he hoped she was.

"Partners."

Alastair reaffirmed the comment once more. His hand stretched out to meet hers, a surprisingly warm grip but that was hardly the real significance of the gesture. He would not have minded a simple verbal agreement, the actual meat of the matter would be what came afterwards, but this was fine too.

"Are you able to hammer out the finer details, then we could talk again once I am discharged? Or is there something more you need from me?"

Starfallen | END POST
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum